Tomatoes, as we all know, are packed with nutrients. They are an impressive source of lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamin C (which is most concentrated in the jelly-like substance that surrounds the seeds), as well as bulk lots of potassium.
But how do you make the best use of it?
In the world of TCM, tomatoes are considered to be calling for the body and are used to promote digestion and detoxification. The nutrients from tomatoes also help to balance out blood sugar levels working against diabetes. Interestingly, it helps to improve mood too.
For us, we love it because it makes a great dish even on it own. If you are thinking of making a healthy snack, this recipe will make the cut. It is easy, simple and full of nutritious benefits.
- 5 tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ bunch oregano or thyme
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 160C
- Lightly oil a sheet pan
- Spead the baking sheet with Garlic and Oregano (if you do not have that available, you can use thyme too
- Cut tomatoes in half, we had 5 tomatoes
- Lay the tomatoes, cut side up
- Add some seasoning and roast for 1 hr.
- Enjoy the super nutritious snack
tip Serving with crusty bread makes it even tastier