- 2 medium size beancurd, cut cubes
- 100 grams tempeh (fermented soybeans cake), cut cubes
- 6 stalks long beans, cut 3cm length
- 1 big red chili, deseed & slice thinly
- 1 lemongrass, cut & bruised
- 3 slices galangal
- 3 lime leaves
- 3 pcs assam tamarind mix with 2 tablespoons water
- 80ml organic coconut milk
- A little water as needed
- A drizzle of kecap manis (sweet soysauce) or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- Salt to taste
Blend Rempah to paste:
- 1 cm old ginger
- 2 big red chili, deseed
- 3 shallots
- 2 garlic
- 2 candlenuts
- 1 teaspoon belachan (shrimp paste)
Steps to healthier cooking:
- Fried both cut beancurd & tempeh until almost golden brown (about 80%) prevent over fried as it may get hard. Set aside.
- Blanch or steam the cut long beans until soften and set aside.
- Heat cooking pan with a little oil, add in blended rempah, lemongrass, galangal, lime leaf and red chili slices until fragrant.
- Add in beancurd, tempeh & long beans, salt, sugar & kecap manis. Stir to combine. Gradually add in coconut milk and mix well.
- Add assam mixture & a little water. simmer for awhile for the ingredients to absorb the flavour. Correct taste and off the heat.
- Serve with brown rice.
We like to thank Julia Yany taking the time to share her recipe with us. Not only does she take amazing food photos, she enjoys cooking and baking too. Check out her cooking on Instagram – miss_polkadot