Tofu is a popular ingredient among Chinese cooking because it can be prepare is many different ways and can be a dish itself. The origin of Tofu starts in China but legend has it that the word started to spread when it was brought into Japan by a Chinese cook who accidentally curdled soya milk when he added nigari seaweed to it. Words spread about tofu and the many benefits it can provide and it was later brought into western culture.
Tofu has a very low-calorie count but is packed with various nutrients and important organic compounds necessary for human health. However it is not a complete protein, so it cannot completely replace those proteins lost by maintaining a vegetarian diet but when coupled with a responsible amount of other healthy food, it can be an essential element of the human diet. Tofu also helps to retain the elasticity of the skin and tones the facial muscles which in turn prevents ageing which is one of the key reasons people are adding Tofu into their diet now.
- Tofu – 1 box
- Dried vegetables (Zha Cai)
- Chicken broth
- Spring onion
- Prawns optional, You can choose to add lean meat too
Steps to becoming stronger
- Set aside 1L of chicken broth and 0.5l of water
- Cut tofu into cubes
- Chop spring onions
- Process the prawns
- Add the tofu and spring onions into a soup pot
- Set to high heat, let it boil
- Add in spring onion and prawns. Let it simmer for 5mins
- Ready to serve and add salt for taste