The bitter gourd tofu soup makes a great summer dish because it helps to cool down your body. You can also have it, if you are feeling “heaty” internally. For example, you are experiencing bad breath, sore throat and or even swollen eyelids.
The star in this soup is Bitter Gourd. Do you know that the bitter gourd that we are eating is a fruit and not a vegetable? It is the edible part of the plant Momordica Charantia which is packed full of nutrients. For example: It contains at least three active substances with anti-diabetic properties, including charantin, which helps in maintaining blood sugar levels. So if you have type 2 diabetes, bitter gourd needs to be in your meal plan.
Beside the anti-diabetic properties, it also helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels and cleanses the liver. The benefits are many but the problem some of us have with bitter gourd is the taste.
Among the Chinese we have a saying: 良药苦口 (good medicine tastes bitter) so sometimes eating some bitter stuff is actually good for us. 🙂
Note: if you are having Low blood sugar, you are not suitable to have too much bitter gourd.
|Lean Pork||150 grams|
|Bitter gourd||150-200 grams|
|Tofu||100 grams (a block)|
- Soya sauce
- White pepper
- Hua diao wine
- Salt (add to taste)
- Chicken or Mushroom cooking sauce (add to taste)
Steps to becoming stronger
- Cut the bitter gourd in half, removed and discard the core
- Sliced the bitter gourd
- Cut the tofu into cubes
- Marinate the meat with a little soya sauce, pepper and Hua Diao Wine.
- Heat up the pan with a little oil
- Stir fry the lean pork, follow by the bitter gourd
- Add 500ml of water and a table spoon of mushroom cooking sauce, mixed it well
- Add in tofu
- Bring to boil and salt for taste
Want to get more recipe on Chinese cooking and their benefits, sign up below to have our latest recipe send directly into your inbox.